I’ve been living in Scotland for almost 16 years now and have never worn a real kilted skirt, can you believe it? So you can imagine I got super excited when ScotlandShop.com have asked me to style up one of their gorgeous wool woven traditional tartan skirts 2 ways. I love tartan and I think it’s so underrated. Everyone needs a plaid piece in their wardrobe because it’s such a rich classic print that goes with so much. It’s ideal for print-clashing (snakeskin?), plus you never know when you’ll bump into a Scot outside Scotland – they always appreciate some solidarity expressed in fashion statements, trust me!
Tartan is such a strong print and I know many of you may be intimidated by incorporating it in to your daily looks, but don’t fear my dear… Here’s a few simple tips you can always remember when you’re stuck:
- Make sure your skirt or dress fits you properly (Scoltand Shop can make to measure).
- Emphasise the less visible colours in the tartan by adding blocks of that colour with tops, accessories and even shoes.
- Be brave to clash prints – tartan looks amazing with stripes and snake skin (see my boots).
- Layer up. Wear long shirts and coats over your tartan skirt or dress and belt it up for a sexier silhouette.
- If in doubt – wear black, but I’d play about with denim too.
Here’s my second look:
As you can see my second look is a bit more casual, whereas the first one can definitely be pulled off as workwear to which you can add a blazer for extra “smartness”. Make a statement wherever you go, get people talking about what you’re wearing and most importantly be brave with bold prints like tartan and make it personal… I tried entering my unpronounceable surname in to the Tartan Finder a few times, but no luck, ha! Does your family have a tartan?
Tartan kilted skirt – Scotland Shop*
Boots – Ted & Muffy, last season
Polo neck – old (similar below)
Bag – Forever 21, old (last seen here)
Faux Fur scarf – Miss Selfridge*
Tartan skirt – Scotland Shop*
Denim dress worn as jacket – Warehouse (last seen here)
Boots – Debenhams (similar options below)
Red high neck top – Zara (similar below)